Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Twelfth Night Episode 3 - "What Country, Friends, Is This?" Scene 3

Viola and Captain Shaw stumble through the early morning light, soon finding the cobblestone path that will lead them to Duke Orsino's palace. Viola, now under the guise of Cesario, walks slightly ahead of Captain Shaw who observes her.

"You need to walk with a little less determinedness in your step, Cesario," Shaw instructs. "Right now, your gait screams nervousness."

Viola huffs, "That's because I am."

"You'll also have to ditch that sass, Cesario," Shaw says, his voice serious, but the he can't fully hide the smirk on his face. "Now, try walking with a little more relax in your gate, not a strut of course, but a saunter maybe."

Viola relaxes her posture and walks forward, swinging a little more easily.

Shaw, who has begun to take a drink from a canteen, coughs on the water, "No, no, back to the nervous walk. Relaxed is not going to work. Relaxing makes your hips get a 'sashay-y'. Defintely can't have you swinging your way into the Duke's palace. Let's stick to the looking a little nervous. The less we can get people thinking feminine thoughts about you the better off we will be."

Viola stiffens her walk again and Captain Shaw shrugs. It will have to do.

An hour later...

"Ahh, good Captain Shaw!" Duke Orsino spreads his arms in welcome to the sea captain. "It has been a while. Good to see you again. What brings you here, my friend!"

Shaw bows his head slightly, "I wish I came during more pleasant circumstances. My ship was pursued by pirates into a storm, where we broke apart. I plan to work on rebuilding my credit and purchasing a ship again, which will take me some time."

Orsino waves his hand , "No need for that! My father spoke of you fondly and you always treated him and my family well, even in the comings and goings from this land. I'll order up a ship for you and have you on your way within the month."

Shaw smiles a knowing smile but says, "Thank-you, my lord. I'm sure it would do me no good to try to refuse such a gift, as you are a man well-known for your generosity. Let me, though, offer the work of my first mate, here, Cesario. He is invaluable to me, but needs a way to provide for himself while we are shored. Would you consider employing him, even for the time-being? This would allow me to feel like I was offering you something in return for your goodness and generosity."

Duke Orsino looks over at Viola, pursing his lips, as thoughts, unspoken clearly roll through his mind. "I think we have an accord, Captain Shaw. I shall employ your Cesario until the time should come that you set sail again. At that point, we shall discuss his future, whether he shall return to the sea with you or if he will stay in my employ. Surely, for a boy as young as this to be such a trusted part of your crew, he must truly be a good man. I am sure I have use for such a person." He smiles and beckons towards Cesario to step forward. "Do you promise to serve me to your utmost until such time that I free you from this commitment, either upon a voyage with the Captain or after a further relationship under my employ?"

Viola steps forward and bows her head slightly and says simply, trying to timber her voice lower, "Thank-you, my liege. I will do my utmost to serve you."

"Good!" He motions to one of his attendents. "Bring us some food and drink. Captain Shaw, Cesario, let us go celebrate new beginnings!"

THREE DAYS LATER...
Now, that you've followed along with the original text of our story, choose to do one of the following 2 options to solidify your understanding of this scene. Each option has a check-in question at the end for you to answer.
  • Option #1 - Watch/read a modernized version of the text. Click here.
  • Option #2 - Watch a summary/analysis video of this scene. Click here.
The curtain falls on Scene 3...as the audience watches, they see the set hastily being rearranged to, once again show the craggy coast. When we return, we will be transported back to the sea shore, several leagues to the north.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twelfth Night Episode 6 - "The Whirligigs of Time" Scene 2

Here we are at the end of our play. The pieces will come together, for better or for worse After watching the play read, please choose one...